Monday, March 5, 2012

Sports


Such an emotion-laden word, especially for those of us who tried, and failed, on the green fields of glory.  It should have been a huge hint to take up knitting when I was unable to muster a single overhand pull-up for the Presidential Fitness Challenge.  Ever.  Thank you, Messrs. Reagan and Schwarzenegger, for that annual reminder that, despite good nutrition at home, a physique that a string bean might envy and energy levels that often left my mother gasping for air and words, I was in fact, not physically fit.

I tried gymnastics, baseball, and soccer.  Some days were better than others, but I generally lacked the coordination to get all four limbs moving in concert towards an achievable goal.  Likewise, I dreaded the running, basketball and tennis sections of PE for all of the same reasons. 

Mom, in possible desperation, enrolled me in dance – and at first it appeared that my arms and legs were once again controlling me, not the other way around.  And then we hit upon drill team.  I might not be able to walk from one side of a room to another without incident, but I was apparently fine with complicated movement so long as someone else planned it, set it to a catchy tune and handed me some pom poms.  Shiny...

Fast forward twenty years.

Given that I have a full set of matching emotional baggage concerning sports, my heart broke into a million pieces when Sage placed in her track and field events whilst Ashton did not.

But Ashton, once again, proved that she walks her own, better, path.  She was the proud big sister, smiling even bigger than her slightly confused and admittedly overwhelmed sibling.  She was happy, confident and simply thrilled to have had a great day outside with her friends.  Pleased to have competed, pleased to be a part of a team, and that’s an achievement that she can keep and nurture and take with her for a lifetime.  That kind of joy is something to cherish, and something that will serve her well as she grows – in good times, and in the inevitable not so good times. 

I love my little bug, and every single day she does something that amazes me, makes my heart swell with even more pride and reminds me that she is her own person, and that she is a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment